Sunday, February 7, 2010

Life Lessons: Taking pleasure in the simple things



Sometimes I just get so preoccupied with all the commitments I have and I try to fulfill all my obligations and all the promises I made. I am a man of my word and I will always strive to do my best and live a life of devotion, dedication and purpose. I know we all are seeking approval and a firm belief in ourselves and we are striving to please and satisfy others whether they are our employer, our clients, our family, our parents, our teacher's or our friends.

In life if we think about what our purpose is and what is important to us we realize that our children should always come first because we are responsible for their lives and want to provide them with our love, support and devotion. In our working lives we don't often get to see our children and for working mother's who have no choice but to get back to work this can be very frustrating. We all should delight in our children and especially young mother's who are raising young babies. I truly believe a young mother who has to work as soon as she can after giving birth loses out on so much. I believe what makes us human and compassionate are our children. I know when I had a week off when Maria and I had our precious baby Matthew I was so enjoying the moments spending time with them both. When I held my son early in the day rather than contending with the rush hour commute I just felt so happy. I wished I could spend more time with him but realized I just had this short window of opportunity so I made sure I made the most of it and I certainly did.

These are the simple pleasures in our lives that mean so much and I believe add years to our lives because they are so joyous and we become human again. In the working world it seems we have to keep our guard up and we become distant and cold. It may not be intentional but we lose that quality of sensitivity that only children can bring out in us.

I have thought about my son on many late nights in the office when I was working hard and felt guilty that I was not home spending time with him. I know how important it is to develop a relationship with our children and let them know that we are always here for them. I sometimes would get emotional about it and start to spend more time with him on my days off. I would know how important that time is with him and I would always love doing things with him and take such joy in the moment and would feel very happy knowing my son enjoyed our times out.

We will never be perfect no matter how hard we try but that is not what I am seeking. I know I am seeking more quality time with my son and giving him the time and attention he needs so he can start making progress. I know how important it is for all of us to help Matthew in his communication skills so he can talk with us or his cousins and friends and feel comfortable and loved. My time with Matthew is precious and I need to start finding ways to spend as much quality time with him as I can.

I took great joy in bowling with my son earlier today with my mother-in-law since Maria was working. We had a very enjoyable time together. I always am delighted when I have this time with my son and this is what I realize is so very important for both Matthew and myself. I was so proud of him and his improvement he made and am glad he enjoys it so much. The simplicity of bowling and the incredible joy that results because of the bonds forged for father and son is truly what makes life so worthwhile. It's not always about the active lives we live and the late nights we work to meet deadlines. It's the precious time we have with our children that makes our lives fulfilling. These are life's simple pleasures that truly make us realize what is most important.

Edward D. Iannielli III

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to read my writings and leave a kind message or suggestion. Thank you. Emily