Sunday, April 11, 2010

Life Lessons: Simple pleasures


When I look back on my life and I see it from 2 perspectives, one as a child and the other as an adult I realize the things that brought a smile to my face and joy in my heart were the simple things I remember as a little boy. As an adult when I look back on that time I think back to those very special moments and I hold on to them and cherish them. The child I was is still there and I feel special to remember back to that time in my life as it was a wonderful time filled with youth, innocence, love and happiness. That little boy I was who learned about life and responsibility from my parents is now a man who has a sensitive side and is truly a compassionate and concerned husband and father. I admit I am far from perfect but my intentions have always been good and I have always been sincere in all the things I've done and all the things I attempt to do.

As an adult the defining moment that changed my life forever and touched my heart and gave me a reason to smile was the wonderful miracle of our son's birth. God blessed Maria and I with our special son Matthew and from that special day our life together has been a wonderful journey of discovery. My main emphasis in my life has always been our son. I have learned that we must always protect and teach our children so they will learn the special meaning of life and also cherish it. We are given life and we are living as God planned with uncertainty but with pure wonder and joy. We should always appreciate our life and never lose sight of all the truly wonderful and special things that we encounter each day.

As I wake each day the one thing I always enjoy are the sounds of nature. The sounds of birds chirping in the trees is such a beautiful part of nature and it is one of life's simple pleasures. I have grown to appreciate a day off so I can spend it with my son and one thing I love to do with him is take a ride to the beach and walk along the shore line and watch him build sand castles. This is one of life's simple pleasures. Another thing I love to do with my son is ask him to pick out a movie he'd like to see and spend the day out with him seeing his movie of choice and having pizza. These seemingly simple things are special moments that are wonderful times and if we freeze the images in our mind we will have lasting memories. Each of these moments frozen in time is our way of taking in the joy and special times and remembering them for our lifetime.

Listening to a song on the radio that I had not heard since childhood that brings me back to the day I was a little boy and remembering how much my mom loved it is one of life's simple pleasures. Going to a baseball game with my wife and son to cheer on our team and snack on hot dogs, crackerjacks, ice cream and soda is one of life's simple pleasures. Looking at a family photo album when I was a baby and pointing this out to my wife and son is one of life's simple pleasures. Seeing my son bring home a test with a perfect grade is one of life's simple pleasures. Hearing my son read a story from his book and pronouncing all the words properly is one of life's simple pleasures. Taking a family vacation out of state and starting our trip making sure we have everything right before we go is one of life's simple pleasures. Having a 3 day weekend is one of life's simple pleasures. Catching a baseball at a major league baseball game in the crowd is one of life's simple pleasures. Getting your refund check in the mail is one of life's simple pleasures. Watching the snow fall at night when everyone is asleep from your doorway knowing we are expecting a blizzard is one of life's simple pleasures. Finally reaching the last page in a book that you read cover to cover enjoying the experience is one of life's simple pleasures. Seeing the sunset at the beach with your wife and son is one of life's simple pleasures. Finding that pretty outfit at the mall you like is one of life's simple pleasures. Having a hot fudge sundae at your favorite ice cream shoppe is one of life's simple pleasures. Opening up your presents on Christmas day is one of life's simple pleasures. Being licked by a dog and making a new friend is one of life's simple pleasures. Being kissed by a cute girl is one of life's simple pleasures. Hearing your child's first words is one of life's simple pleasures. Seeing your child walk for the first time is one of life's simple pleasures. Watching the flowers bloom in the springtime is one of life's simple pleasures. Having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is one of life's simple pleasures. Driving a new car is one of life's simple pleasures. Remembering having a catch with my dad is one of life's simple pleasures. Remembering going to a Met game with my mom as a kid is one of life's simple pleasures. Having a catch with my son is one of life's simple pleasures. Going trick or treating with my son is one of life's simple pleasures. seeing all the cute kids in their Halloween costumes and hearing their thank you's as I give them candies is one of life's simple pleasures.

The excitement of all these simple pleasures is what makes our life fun and enjoyable and when we learn to appreciate these simple things we will realize that our life is special and we are truly blessed and should always hold on to these special moments to help us through the sad times we encounter.

I will always make sure my son has many of these special moments that will help him grow and develop and experience joy and excitement for that is what kids should always have in their lives; Joy, wonder and happiness from the simple things in life.

Edward D. Iannielli III

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to read my writings and leave a kind message or suggestion. Thank you. Emily