Monday, November 2, 2009

Being a role model!




To our kids for the most part we can do no wrong. In their eyes we are tops in what ever we do and that can be a tall order to live up to. Therefore we owe it to our kids to provide them with emotional support, understanding and teach them the traits that will benefit them and allow them to develop and mature so they can conduct themselves in the proper way in all situations. It is most important to teach our kids to have patience with whatever they do, show respect, try their best and always use proper judgement and to be careful in the company of strangers. Kids learn from their parents and they usually try to follow their example and also are influenced by their teachers and friends. If you have a good relationship with your child at a young age and you provide them with quality time, guidance, love and support you will make a considerable difference in your child's life and they will respect you and listen and be respectful of others too.

Teaching our children takes many forms and we always need to be aware of this as we influence our children in many ways and we must realize that our children are very impressionable and look to us for how they should conduct themselves and react. If we react in a calm way to a challenge and we teach this to our child then they will learn that they should do the same. If we encourage our child and provide them with lessons that influence them and show them how to react and stick to something and not give up they will be better for it and will have learned something very valuable.

When I talk to Matthew I always try to speak with him as his father and as his friend. I want my son to know that he can talk to me about anything and everything. I don't want him to ever feel afraid or unsure. I grew up not always talking to my parents but knew I could have but we learn sometimes that we sometimes have to deal with our feelings on our terms. I try to let my son know that he does not have to feel this way. I want him to freely express himself and to speak with me or Maria anytime.

I feel children growing up today are exposed to a great deal more and are maturing much sooner and learning things much earlier as well. My son was exposed to the computer at the tender age of 2 years old and the first time I learned the computer was in my freshman year of college at the age of 18 . Our children are forced to learn computers, cell phones, ipods and other technological innovations at such earlier ages and this is good but at the same time it is also a bit alarming as the exposure to all these electronic devices can also have a negative effect as well. Our lives are becoming more complicated and it seems we have to always adapt ourselves to the changing times we live in. For our children it seems natural to use the computer as that is what they learned at very young ages and children have tremendous capacities for learning such things.

I take a lot of what I learned as a young child from my parents and I impart this knowledge to my son and share with him my own experiences as a young kid growing up and what it was like. We try to share a little bit of ourselves to our children to help give them perspective. I remember as a young kid enjoying hearing stories of what it was like for our parents growing up as we wish to feel that connection and learn what our parents were like when they were young. It is very interesting to learn from them and to share a part of ourselves with our kids.

So as I see my son growing and developing into a young lad I try to provide him all my support and encouragement and make him aware that he should always feel comfortable talking with me or Maria about anything he wishes. We will do our best in helping him and providing him with the answers he is seeking. It is an honor to be a role model to my son and I take it very seriously and will do my best in that role and especially in the role of his dad.

Edward D. Iannielli III

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to read my writings and leave a kind message or suggestion. Thank you. Emily