Saturday, December 19, 2009

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!
















As I look out our door from the inside where it is cozy and warm and I see the snow quietly falling at a pretty rapid clip and feel the cold air on my cheeks I can't help but feel an excitement and joy I felt as a child when I would love to peer outside the door and watch the snow fall. It brings me back to the day when I was a young kid and my parents were my source of protection and comfort. They were truly wonderful and made me always feel safe. As we prepare for a major snow blizzard where the current forecast predicts accumulations of up to 24 inches I am feeling like a kid again and will make sure I take Matthew outside to play in it and take pictures of our first snow of the season which happens to be occurring 2 days before the official start of winter season.

These are the moments that stand out in our lives and we will remember them throughout our lifetime. We will be talking of this storm for many years and my son will be able to tell his children of this unexpected snowstorm when we were hit with a major blizzard a week before Christmas in 2009.

I first learned of this storm only yesterday not even realizing the magnitude of it. I am feeling the excitement and anticipation of a major weather event and looking forward to the next day when we can go outside and see the beauty and splendor of nature's snow across the landscape. I look forward to walking with my son outside in the street and taking it all in. I remember a major blizzard we had back in 1978 when I was in high school and in 1994 when I was working in Brooklyn's Starrett City and we had 3 snow days missing work. I remember walking on Merrick Road, a major roadway with a friend with virtually no cars on the road in 1994. It was completely buried in snow and I just was amazed being able to experience this as it is very rare.

These are the times we cherish with our children and the snow makes it extra special and gives us the feeling of joy and happiness but we must always remember that as beautiful the snow is it can be very dangerous because of the cold temperatures and the icing conditions. We also need to take care in shovelling the snow because many people are susceptible to health concerns because of the physical activity exerted in moving the snow.

As I see the snow falling at a rapid clip from our door and I listen to the forecast on the weather channel and I am at home enjoying spending the time with my son in the living room I am so very happy as this is what the beauty of life and family is all about. I will have a mental image of this forever etched in my mind and will love looking at the photographs and seeing my son when he was just a kid enjoying the snow with his mom and dad on a day off and just playing and being a kid. It is a wonderful feeling and one that will forever be remembered and enjoyed for years and decades to come. As I tell my son as we look out the door realizing Christmas is a week a way and seeing the snow fall that we should enjoy this moment and that this is so exciting and we surely will enjoy tomorrow and for the night all we can say and think is "Let it snow, Let it snow. Let it snow!" This is a day to remember and a day to share with others. Enjoy the snow with your kids and be safe!

Edward D. Iannielli III

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to read my writings and leave a kind message or suggestion. Thank you. Emily